Thursday, February 11, 2010

A Stunning Scheme (Part three to: "Colored and White")

A Stunning Scheme
((Piece three to “Colored and White”) (1869: put in her diary, 1889)





There is more truth to this part of the story, than meets the eye, but I must tell it as I heard it, for better or worse. I will reference, Witty Jackson’s diary: “I ought to have observed, the ultimate intentions of the stranger that came forth out of nowhere, while at Turkey Creek, the following morning (it was in the fall of 1869). He had no associates, as we were all swimming in the creek he was less an object in view, raising from out of the woods against the green pines and oaks and taking possession of our clothing, plundering through our clothing, it was terrifying. And there he sat on a log, just sitting on a log counting my brother’s five one dollar bills, a long pistol tucked behind his belt (in front of his stomach) that held up his trousers. He looked in back of him, and down into the creek at us, no one was in sight but us. The very moment I saw him, I was determined he was trouble, but I didn’t say anything, only said to Hark, “Look down yonder, a stranger coming…!” I figured from his furnishings (a rolled up blanket, and a coffee pot, and a few other items) he was a traveler of some sort.
He then stood up from the log, and I moved back across the creek, Burgundy hid behind Hark, and he to Hark said, “Give me you’re wife, and I’ll let you be!”
But of course she wasn’t his wife, she was his sister, and he knew not to believe him, and I knew better, and he wasn’t watching me, he had his eyes on them two, and he arose from that log with his elegant rifle pistol, so it looked, it had a long barrel on it. He walked a few yards down to the creek, actually a foot into the creek and ordered them two to turn their backs. And Hark said, “If you’re deemed to kill us, let us have a moment for prayer!” And Hark saw me walking backwards into the woods, on the other side of the creek from the corner of his eye, I know he did. And I heard the traveler say, “I have no time to hear your pray,” and he shot them in the back of their heads.
I didn’t take time to examine what all took place after that. I sunk into the undergrowth part of the wooded area. And he took my bran-new dress, knowing it was quality, and I found my way back to Ozark, and told Uncle Amos, who told the sheriff, and Emma was very sad, she had never told anyone that I know of, what took place that day between her and Hark, not even on her dying bed.

No: 601 (2-11-2010)

No comments:

Post a Comment