Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Now As I Am (a Poem on aging/growing old)

Now As I Am
(A poem on aging/growing old)



Now as I am old and simple, under the Golden Sun
About as happy as the little sparrows and turtledoves,
The mornings are low, with an earthly chill,
Time has allowed me to climb
All the mountains in my eyes and mind,
And travel the world as if I was a prince of the cities
And get above my stead, that fate lordly over me
A quarter of my life with corn and barley
To flush me down the river with no light


And I was carefree and careless, among my peers
And I was happy, singing as if this world was my home,
In a tumult, of sunny-youth, that is no more,
Time allowed me to be all I could
Silver moments, in the mercy of the world,
And carefree as the sparrows, I was a soldier, in war
Sang and drank, and danced throughout Europe,
And the years drifted slowly
Still in the holy palm of God’s hand


All the long days, as they were coming, I was living life
City to city, chimneys and roofs, smog and fresh air
Running and playing and working
Fire in my blue veins
Only God to bow to and explain
And I had many a sleepless nights, bearing no light
All the songs I heard, men among men, the night-life
Fighting with the sharks, the bars
Melting into the dark


And then to awake, and be old, like day to night
With the mornings chilling the bones, shoulders
Unblemished, my time has not ended,
The world is still out there
And the sun still rises, like in my youthful days
So I have survived that melting dark, sharks and bars
Now in my second life, the mesmerized one, walking bold
Out of the frying pan, as they say
Deeper into the Golden Age (I go)

No: 2782 /9-7-2010

No comments:

Post a Comment