Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Paper Pickers of Buenos Aires ((Updated Verson, 2010)( in English and Spanish))


The Paper Pickers
Of Buenos Aires
(Written October, 2002, Reedited and updated, 3/2010)




I arrived in Buenos Aries, Argentina four days ago and my first reaction to the paper pickers, as I call them, was ‘be…ee careful’ —it was the same reaction a woman on an elevator in the Hotel who had just arrived had said, a hotel right off the main street of the city called The ‘9th of-July Street, named after the day of their independence if I recall correctly.
I liked the obelisk between the sixteen-rows of automobile street lanes that one has to cross over to get from one side to the other; I can see it from our hotel window mirror (later on I’ll go down and visit as I will in the following years, or during my next two visits to Buenos Aires, in 2010 and in 2008).
My wife keeps asking me, “What are you looking at…?”
And of course, I keep saying, “The obelisk honey, just the obelisk, why?”
“You know by now what it looks like,” she comments. She’s more practical than me, an accountant by profession, and the cutest little thing this side of the Universe so doesn’t want to upset her so I just say a second time, “…the obelisk honey, and that’s all.”
When I was in St. Louis, in ’98 ( before I met my wife), I had gotten a room with a view looking at the 555-foot arch, and I did the same think, look at it a dozen or two times, to imprint its grandness. I went to the Alamo, in Texas, five times in five days, to get its pulse. I seem to need that for some reason.
Anyhow, as I was saying, or about to say, I watched these ‘Paper Pickers’, for a number of days now. I could see them from our 9th story window, and of course as my wife and I would walk about outside the hotel during these evenings, they were always very busy wrapping paper and cardboard into little bundles, and placing these items into big sacks, or on top of one another, roped. They could be mistaken for bums, young ones for the most part, but I’d learn in the next to visits to this South American City, they were also Middle Aged, and one even sixty years old, with grandchildren, so he’d tell me in a video interview. But they were working, so the bum thing went out the window, they were just caught in the fractured economic crisis of the times.
They knew I was observing them as I walked about, night after night—they had to know, I was too obvious, but they never caught my eye, nor paid me any attention to speak of, or for that matter, paid any folks walking by any attention. They just kept putting paper into sacks, and breaking down boxes, and then putting them onto a wheelbarrow and brought them across that busy long, very wide street to the other side and down a few more streets, and down an alley, hour after hour, after hour for five hours between nine o’clock in the evening and two a.m., in the morning.

They were as I had said stuffing these huge bags full of paper, and tying the cardboard boxes in tight stacks, and some paper pickers even taking apart the motors in appliances left out for the junk man to pick up, like small refrigerates from hotel rooms no longer working I would guess, and so forth, and putting them onto their carts, perhaps to strip the copper out of them later on, and sell it wherever. The old man, said he made 200-Pecos a week, about sixty-dollars (in 3-2010, and in 1998, my first visit to the city, the young man I talked to made less than that).
What perhaps looked the oddest to me was that: here I was in a four-star hotel, and here they were these paper pickers one-hundred feet away from the hotel doing their laborious work, several of them, independently doing their work side by side, knowing one another of course. As if they had a duty station, as if they were brothers in a fraternity. Other paper pickers roamed from location to location, so I suppose they all had their preference—that is to say, if they wanted to work in groups or independently on their own.
The streets after 10:30 p.m., appear to be the most active time for collecting and sorting the paper, thereafter doing the bundling, stacking and tying of the cardboard and paper—consequently, most of the mountain of paper is visible to the eye, right to the side of the street near the our four-star hotel.

It was the forth day (1998), and my Peruvian, and Spanish speaking wife and I stood by the hotel door been watching them. It was about 10:00 p.m., I started walking over to them, approaching the group, although they were stagnated several feet apart from one another, several of them busily working at their trade. A few eyes started to stare at us—for the most part, because we were pert near on top of them, and then looked another way as if to avoid us, but Victor whom would speak to me in a moment; he stood a little surprised I caught his eyes and seemingly wouldn’t let go. He was about twenty-two years old. As I stepped forward to greet him, he extended his hand, and I introduced myself with my wife. He still was estranged, not knowing what my intent was, and surely knowing from my greenish-blue eyes and auburn hair, and light complexion, I was a gringo, with something on my mind, with bronze Spanish speaking wife.
“Hello,” he said in Spanish, kindly tone of voce, he was quite calm and serene, standing there by his cart, half filled with paper mix with cardboard, his cart a little less filled in comparison to the full carts of the other young men.
“My partner got sick on me tonight,” he told my wife, as we talked about his trade, “and so I have work alone tonight.” He commented.
I had noticed he rarely made eye contact with me when the talked, but my wife and I kind of forced Victor’s hand. My wife told him, I had several questions I’d like to ask, if he didn’t mind accommodating me with the answers, all related to his work.
(Eight years from this date, I’d do the same thing, a second interview, look for paper picker, and do a movie interview, but this time I would select an old man by the President Hotel, a sixty-year old man, near my age, by the name of Luis Alberto, and he’d be kindly enough to tell me about his life in the paper picking business, and was proud to be interviewed and put into a movie, whereas a young man I had asked prior to this second event, eight-years later, was reluctant. Anyhow back to Victor)
As Rose, my wife, and myself stood there talking to Victor, he explained to me he worked ten-hour per days, going from hotel to hotel, to apartment building and stores, collecting paper and cardboard. Bulking it together and tying it down, then delivering it in black twenty-five-gallon bags he used for storing, where as Luis used a much larger bag seemingly made out of some kind of gunnysack material, perhaps five feet tall, and with a circumference a small type Volkswagen.
When Victor got enough paper, and bundles and sacks filled, he’d—like the rest of his group—would bring the workload to a tuck parked a few blocks away (Luis explained to be it was purchased by the government and put onto a white train, and wherever it was taken, the city only knew), the people would weigh the material at .40-cents per each kilogram [two pounds]. In a day or evening he could or would make four-dollars or so the Argentine Pesos were very low at this time to the dollar. But he was working, which I was proud to see, not out robbing like so many during hard times.
Victor explained also that plastic was recycled, but they had to bring it to another location.
Victor’s eyes were dark brown, small and round, almost as if hypnotic; a very pleasant laidback kind of person, and graceful in his manners; I’m sure his parents were proud of him, for he was working and not begging, or stealing to get a free meal, and blame his hardship on everyone else in the world.
His voice was steady, calm, soft. I pulled out a ten peso bill, gave it to him (Luis eight-years down the road would get from me, seventeen pesos for his interview). He looked at me as if he was in disbelief, not sure if he should accept it or not. But my wife assured him it was for the information he provided, and therefore was and had worked for it. He looked at it a second time and took it (as did Luis take his money, but said ‘It’s really not necessary” but my wife insisted to him, he should, because he earned it). Some folks are just very honorable, God bless them both.

As we walked away from Victory, I stopped to turn about and saw Victory one last time, he was talking to one of the two guys by him holding the bill with two hands, showing it to them, still in disbelief I would guess.



In Spanish Translated by Nancy Peñaloza

Los Recogedores De papel de Buenos Aires [Argentina, 2002]

Llegué a Buenos Aires hace cuatro días y mi primera reacción hacia los recogedores de papel, como les llamo ahora, era "Se...ee cuidadoso. ..." Esta fue la misma reacción de las mujeres en un elevador de nuestro hotel, que acababan de llegar había dicho ella; nuestro hotel estaba en seguida a la calle más grande en el mundo llamada "La 9th Calle de julio"; una cosa de soberanía, el cual me fue contado.
Parezco seguir mirando el obelisco hacia fuera de mi ventana de hotel: Me gusta el obelisco, le dije a mi esposa, justo abajo la calle cerquita nomás, parece bastante cerca de nuestra ventana en el 9o piso. Era gracioso, o así pareció, que cuando llegué, primero pedí conseguir un cuarto con una buena vista de ello [hablo del obelisco], y ahora mi esposa sigue preguntándome, "Que estas mirando..." sigo diciendo "El...Obelisco querida, el obelisco, desde luego..." A veces usted consigue una fijación sobre algo (o al menos yo lo hago), y usted termina por maravillarse de ello inconscientemente, como yo lo hacía, todavía lo hago. "Usted sabe, ¿Qué Hay de nuevo nena?, és el obelisco", es lo que yo le diría a ella, y añadiría, "Tú eres la cosita mas tierna a este lado del Universo".
De todos modos, como yo estaba diciendo, o cerca de decir, yo miré a estos "recogedores de papel", por un número de días ahora. Yo podía verlos desde mi 9a ventana histórica, y desde luego mientras nosotros caminaríamos a casa durante la tarde ellos estarían por el hotel. Ellos podrían ser confundidos por vagabundos, los más jóvenes. Pero ellos estaban trabajando, entonces la cosa de vagabundo, pasó la ventana. Ellos sabían que paseábamos cerca de ellos, mirándolos, pero ellos nunca tomaron nuestra mirada, ellos no te mirarían, solamente seguían poniendo el papel dentro de los sacos, y dividiendo las cajas, y luego ellos los pondrían en una carretilla y lo llevarían a través de aquella larga calle muy amplia y atareada (la calle 9th de julio) hacia el otro lado, y abajo unas calles más, y abajo un callejón, hora tras hora, después de la hora, ellos hicieron esto. Pero pienso, que yo estoy adelantando mi historia. Ellos estaban como yo había dicho, llenando con papel estos enormes bolsos, y atando las cajas apretadas, desde las 2PM por la tarde, hasta las 12:00 de noche, un buen trabajo de diez horas al día. Las calles después de las 9:00 de la tarde parecen desnudar la mayor parte de las montañas de papel, Así ellos hacen su trabajo en seguida de la calle principal, al frente de nuestro hotel de cuatro estrellas.
Este era el cuarto día, y mi esposa de habla española y yo parados por la puerta del hotel mirándolos. Era cerca de las 10:00 de la noche. Comencé a caminar hacia ellos- despacio, nos acercamos al grupo donde algunos, estaban algo dispersados dentro de unas treinta filas de alimentos o las líneas (recostados contra el tablero posterior de madera negra, usado como una clase de valla, si puede llamarse así), aunque ellos estaban inmovilizados varios pies el uno aparte del otro: en grupos de parejas: como una consecuencia, ellos trabajaban en su comercio juntos de este modo, quizás para apoyarse-
Unos ojos comenzaron a mirar fijamente hacia nosotros mientras nos acercábamos a ellos, y luego miraron a otro lado, pero Víctor quien me hablaría en un momento permaneció congelado, un poco sorprendió que yo me este acercando a él, o así pareció mientras recogí su mirada. Él tenía aproximadamente veintidós años. Entonces di un paso adelante para saludarlo, él extendió sus manos en una forma de lo más amable, y yo le presenté a mi esposa y a mí. Él todavía estaba alejado de lo que estaba ocurriendo, pienso que él simplemente acostumbraba examinar movimientos básicos, y cuando usted cambió esto, en general, esto se paró dentro de una persona (a veces) todo el proceso- no sólo su pensamiento, su percepción sensorial, él esta algo atontado, y Así el fue. Es decir, sin conocer cual era mi intención, y seguramente conociendo por mis ojos azules y el pelo castaño, y la tez clara, que yo era un gringo, con una esposa española (lo cual era sospechoso en sí mismo) él estaba curioso de que yo me este acercando a él, aún no seguro si de verdad era él, yo me acercaba. "¡Hola (¡hola!)!" Él dijo, con una voz bastante tranquila, permaneciendo por su carro, medio lleno con papel compuesto, comparado a los carros llenos de otras parejas. Él estaba solo.
¿"Yo veo que tú estas solo, no como los demás que tienen un compañero para ayudar"? Mi esposa le dijo en español. "Mi compañero se me enfermó esta noche, y entonces tengo que trabajar solo". Él comentó.
¿"Entonces usted tiene que esforzarse y cuidar del negocio como es normal, ya que usted debe tener a cierta gente que depende de su llegada"? Él sonrió. Yo había notado que él raras veces hacía el contacto de ojo conmigo, pero mi esposa y yo amablemente forzamos la mano de Víctor. ¿Mi esposa le dijo, que yo tenía varias preguntas que me gustaría hacerle, si a él no le importara complacerme con las respuestas, y todos ellos relacionados con su trabajo?
Así permanecimos allí conversando, él me explicó que él trabajó este día diez horas, yendo de hotel a hotel, del departamento de almacén de la tienda al departamento del almacén de la tienda, recogiendo el papel y cartulina. Amontonándolos juntos y atándolos, luego entregándolos en 25 bolsas negras de galones. Cuando ellos consiguieron llenarlos los traerían hacia el tuck camion parqueado a pocos bloques afuera, la gente los pesaría en .40 centavos por cada kilogramo [dos libras]. En un día o la tarde él haría cuatro pesos, iguales ahora a 1.20 dólares [EE.UU.]; unos años atrás podrían haber sido aproximadamente $4 dólares, pero los pesos estaban realmente bajos en comparación con el dólar en este momento. Pero él estaba trabajando, por el cual él estaba orgulloso de mostrarlo, no pidiendo como otros tantos y queriendo dinero por pararse y sin hacer nada.
Víctor explicó que el plástico también era reciclado, pero ellos tenían que llevarlo a otra ubicación; los ojos de Víctor eran marrones oscuros, pequeños y redondos, casi hipnóticos: un chaval muy agradable, lleno de gracia. Estoy seguro que sus padres estaban orgullosos de él, ya que él estaba orgulloso de si mismo.
Saqué un billete de 10 pesos, se lo di. Él me miró como si él estuviera en desacuerdo, no seguro si lo aceptaría o no. Pero mi esposa le aseguró que era por la información que el nos proveyó, y por lo tanto fue y había trabajado para ello [desde el cual esta historia vino). Él miró esto por segunda vez y lo tomó.
Mientras nos alejamos, me paré y giré para verlo por ultima vez, él estaba hablando con alguno de sus compañeros: en particular, dos tipos cerca de él quienes permanecían próximos, y él les estaba mostrando el billete, mientras lo sostenía con dos manos, todavía incrédulo yo podría adivinar que esto era su pago de 2 ½ de días, pero bien vale esto por esta historia. Y estoy seguro que a el no le preocupó que su amigo este fuera esta noche después de todo; ya que él tenía una historia buena para contarle mañana sobre el gringo y la señora española.


No comments:

Post a Comment